SIDEBAR
I
D
E
B
A
R
Ubuntu – Linux for Human Beings!
March 17th, 2007 by teragram

I have finally managed to move from Windows to Linux. I’ve been very frustrated lately with software providers trying to control my desktop (Apple at least equals Microsoft in irritating control tactics). Ubuntu is a Linux distribution that explicitly aims to make Linux accessible to normal people (“Linux for Human Beings” is their phrase, not mine), and they are well on their way to success. The one issue I had with installing it was that my wireless card didn’t automatically work (imagine, a Linux installation where the *only* thing that didn’t work automatically was my wireless card!).

My biggest problem in finding a solution is that a lot of the information that’s out there is quite outdated. I spent quite a bit of time following how-tos written for old versions of Ubuntu. But I did eventually find a solution, a very simple one at that, and I want to share it with y’all 🙂

Details here: http://teragram.furiousthinking.org/?p=90

7 Responses
  • jimlad writes:
    March 26th, 200712:16 pmat

I spent a long time downloading fedora linux as recommended by a friend, but never installed it as I didn’t have my windows installation disk and didn’t want to get rid of windows completely, and didn’t find the time to sort this out.

I got an 80G hard drive they were throwing out recently in work and so I’m going to install linux on my computer as soon as I get around to making the fedora cds.

I doubt I will go to the trouble of downloading another linux OS now, but what are the advantages/disadvantages of Fedora vs Ubuntu?

• teragram writes:
    March 26th, 200712:26 pmat

It’s a long time since I used Fedora, so I can’t really comment on the difference. Ubuntu is aimed at, or at least aims to be accessible to, people who have no clue about Linux/UNIX. I think they do that very successfully. I’d be happy to give you an installation CD if Fedora doesn’t work out for you.

By the way, it’s possible to cut your disk up into partitions so you can have more than one operating system on the same hard disk (assuming your disk is big enough). But now that you have your big new disk that shouldn’t be necessary 🙂

Tg

• jimlad writes:
    March 26th, 200712:32 pmat

Yeah, I had problems doing that. Maybe I could have done it if I’d gotten a chance, but I might have needed the original Windows installation package in order to change the size of the windows partition? Or can other programs just freely mess with how much of the hard drive windows has access to?

• teragram writes:
    March 26th, 200712:46 pmat

If you partition the drive in another operating system, Windows doesn’t notice, it just thinks the drive is smaller. You have to “defrag” your disk in Windows first though, because Windows leaves scraps of files all over the place (defragmentation is the process of collecting up all those fragments and putting them in a neat order at the beginning of the disk).

It’s a good idea to make a backup too, and to have the Windows disk nearby, because these things don’t always go to plan 🙂

Tg

• jimlad writes:
    March 26th, 20071:14 pmat

Oh. Thanks.

• jimlad writes:
    March 26th, 20071:17 pmat

Now I’m wondering, is it better to repartition windows and install linux on the old slow hard drive and use the new fast one for just space, or is it better to have the OS on the fast drive. This is getting away from your blog topic, sorry.

• jimlad writes:
    March 26th, 20071:21 pmat

In fact, that question is purely out of interest come to think of it. I’m going to put linux on the more stable, newer hard drive in case the other one fails as it is very old.